Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feathered Friends

northern cardinal-male

This post is mostly for me. There is something about birds that I just love. Not quite sure what it is, but I could watch them for hours.   If for some reason I couldn't be a human anymore and had to be an animal instead- a bird I would be! We have three bird feeders- one in the front and two in our backyard.
One of the feeders is connected to our deck and right next to a big window. Pretty much every morning, I drink some hot tea and watch the birds fly in and out for their breakfast. I just want to remember all birds that visit us here.

eastern bluebird

bluebird and redbellied woodpecker

Most of these pictures I take through the window and usually I have to sneak up and take a quick picture.
I have my trusty "birds of Georgia" field guide to help me figure out who is who.
We get tons of birds and some I have tried and tried, but just can't get their picture.


wren


a sparrow and chickadee

The little chickadees are fun to watch- they zoom in, take one seed and fly off. Then come back and do it again. They never seem to be concerned about other birds at the feeder or if a cat might be around.


dove


cardinals

I love the cardinals. They are very cautious birds. They will sit on the fence- looking and waiting for a long time before they fly in and eat. The other day we had about ten of them sitting on the fence-alternating male and female- it looked really pretty.


white breasted nuthatch


tufted titmouse


red-headed woodpecker


house finch and downy woodpecker


hawk- not sure what kind.

This guy visited us a lot last year, but I haven't seen him lately. Maybe all the cold winter weather forced him to move south?

Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young--
a place near Your altar,
O Lord Almighty, my King and
my God......
Psalm 84: 3

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment